Alex Hildebrand, MSM
Director of Strategy Consulting, Senior Consultant
Alex Hildebrand is passionate about helping social sector organizations deepen their impact through mission clarity, sound strategy development, and effective deployment of their most valuable resources – their people. At Learning for Action, Alex loves partnering with nonprofits, foundations, and public agencies to improve in all of these areas. Combining experience as a nonprofit manager with that as a consultant, he brings a broad toolkit – including strategic planning, strategic restructuring, organizational and board development, organizational learning, and organizational change – to every engagement. This ensures that client organizations receive a comprehensive diagnosis of their current performance and a full array of options for how to act on that diagnosis. As Director of LFA’s strategy consulting practice, he focuses on the continuous development and improvement of our consulting product – including LFA’s staff capacity to deliver it – so that it better meets the needs of our clients and sector.
Prior to joining LFA, Alex worked at two peer consulting firms, La Piana Consulting and BTW informing change. Before his transition into consulting, Alex spent nine years in various management and leadership positions in the nonprofit sector, including Executive Director of the Maine Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Development Director for an adventure-based youth development program in Portland, Maine, and Program Director for a transitional living shelter for homeless youth in Portland, Oregon.
While Alex’s commitment to making the world better creeps into his personal life as a board member of Peace Brigades International/USA, he is also committed to enjoying the better things in life such as spending time with his wife and two little girls, enjoying San Francisco Bay Area culture, and hurtling down treacherous terrain on a mountain bike.
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with distinction in all subjects, Cornell University
- Masters of Science in Management, Antioch New England University
Selected Project Experience
- Strategic Planning and Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (MEL) Implementation Planning for First 5 Los Angeles
- Strategic Planning for the San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development
- Community Input and Engagement for the San Francisco Mayor’s Office and San Francisco Unified School District
- Strategic Planning for KQED Education
- Evaluation of Knight News Challenge Grants for the Knight Foundation