Laura Bekes, MA
Laura first joined LFA in 2008 with a background in sociology (with a focus on social inequality, education, race, and ethnicity) and expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods. She is committed to advancing social justice by supporting social sector organizations to use data to inform their decision-making. Laura’s work at LFA has focused on evaluation and capacity-building, and she has extensive experience working in partnership with organizations to use evaluation as a tool for learning and planning. Laura’s project work has spanned a range of issue areas including early childhood and K-12 education, economic well-being of vulnerable populations, housing and community development.
Prior to rejoining LFA in 2014, Laura served as the research and evaluation coordinator at the Center for Interprofessional Education and the Northern California Geriatric Education Center at the University of California, San Francisco. Laura has also held positions as a teaching associate and research associate within the Department of Sociology, School of Public Affairs, and the Graduate School of Education and Information at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Laura spends her free time hiking and fishing in the mountains. She loves to travel and has hung out with orangutans in the Bornean rainforest, cheered on the US Women’s National Soccer Team at the Women’s World Cup Final in Canada, and trekked to Everest Base Camp.
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, University of California, Davis
- Master of Arts, Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles
Selected Project Experience
- Evaluation of the HOPE SF Initiative, a public-private partnership led by the San Francisco Foundation, Enterprise Community Partners, and the City and County of San Francisco.
- Evaluation of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation’s Common Core Initiative
- Evaluation of Genentech’s Futurelab Initiative
- Planning and Facilitation for the Collaborative for Academic Social and Emotional Learning Collaborating States Initiative California State Team
- Community Needs Assessment for the City of San Francisco’s Department of Children, Youth, and Families
- Evaluation and Technical Assistance for First 5 Sonoma County